The Cuban Ministry of the Revolutionary Armed Forces announced on January 7 that explosions occurred at an arms and ammunition depot near the community of Melones in the eastern province of Holguin on January 7. The explosions left four officers, including two majors, and nine soldiers missing, Reuters reported.
Images circulating online are said to show the explosion in Holguin province (Cuba) on January 7.
PHOTO: CIBERCUBA SCREENSHOT
Videos and images on social media showed a large plume of smoke rising near Melones. Soldiers and local police blocked roads leading to the scene as rescue teams and firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze.
Authorities said 1,245 people had been evacuated to safety after the explosion and assured that the incident posed no threat to the public, according to the Telesur television network. Relatives of those missing have been notified. The identities of those missing were posted on the social media account of the Ministry of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Cuba.
Map of the area where the January 7 explosion occurred in eastern Cuba
PHOTO: CNN SCREENSHOT
The cause of the incident is under investigation. Some unconfirmed reports suggest that the explosions occurred during the sorting of old ammunition at the arsenal. The Cuban Ministry of the Revolutionary Armed Forces has also suggested that the explosions may have been caused by a fire at the site, and that authorities are continuing to determine the cause and assess the damage. Officials said they are maintaining communication and assured the public that they will be kept informed of developments.
Source: https://thanhnien.vn/no-kho-vu-khi-tai-cuba-13-quan-nhan-mat-tich-185250108131348334.htm
Comment (0)