On August 31, the Johannesburg Emergency Management Agency (South Africa) announced that the number of victims killed in the fire at a 5-storey building in the city center had reached 73.
Robert Mulaudzi, spokesman for the Johannesburg Emergency Services, warned that the death toll could rise as more people were believed to be trapped inside. The fire also injured 52 others, some of whom suffered from smoke inhalation. The injured were taken to hospital.
"Today is truly a sad day for the city of Johannesburg. In more than 20 years of service, I have never encountered anything like this," said Mr Mulaudzi.
CNN quoted an announcement from the Johannesburg City Emergency Management Agency confirming that the fire was reported at around 1:30 a.m. on August 31 (local time).
The scene of the fire in Johannesburg, South Africa. Photo: Reuters
Images from the scene show the fire spreading from the lower floors of the building. There are “obstacles” everywhere, which will make evacuation difficult. Firefighters are currently going from floor to floor, and so far they have only checked three of the five floors of the building.
Some people inside when the fire broke out had to jump out of the window to escape and may have fallen to their deaths. Seven of the victims were children, the youngest being only 1 year old.
The building in the central business district has been described as an “informal settlement” where homeless people were housed. According to witnesses, at least 200 people may have lived in the building.
A woman collapsed near the scene. Photo: Reuters
Those searching for loved ones have been warned that the chances of finding anyone alive are "very slim".
Illegal occupancy of abandoned buildings in downtown Johannesburg is not uncommon in South Africa. Many are believed to be controlled by criminal syndicates, who rent them out to illegal occupants and collect money.
In addition, the Guardian newspaper quoted information from local news channel Times Live saying that this was the fourth abandoned old building to catch fire in recent months.
Firefighters and ambulance crews work at the scene of the fire on the morning of August 31. Photo: AFP
Currently, rescue forces are trying to put out the fire and search for survivors.
Local authorities have blocked off several roads in the area to facilitate the movement of vehicles and firefighters, while residents of surrounding buildings were evacuated as a precaution against possible safety risks.
Local authorities said that after three hours, the fire was mostly extinguished but smoke was still billowing from the charred windows of the building.
The cause of the building fire is still unknown, but there are signs that people lit a fire inside the building to keep warm.
Minh Hoa (reported by Tuoi Tre, Vietnam+, VTV)
Source
Comment (0)