Vietnam.vn - Nền tảng quảng bá Việt Nam

Flood submerged road tunnel, 9 people drowned

VnExpressVnExpress16/07/2023


South Korea A nearly 700-meter-long tunnel in Osong, North Chungcheong Province, was flooded, causing at least nine people to drown in trapped cars.

South Korean authorities said on the afternoon of July 16 that the bodies of eight victims had been found in a flooded tunnel in Osong, North Chungcheong Province, bringing the total number of deaths in the tunnel to at least nine.

The death toll could rise further as authorities work to reach 15 cars submerged in floodwaters in the tunnel, with 11 victims believed to be trapped inside.

Rescuers search for missing people in a bus stuck in a flooded tunnel in Osong, North Chungcheong Province, July 16. Photo: Yonhap

Rescuers search for missing people in a bus stuck in a flooded tunnel in Osong, North Chungcheong Province, July 16. Photo: Yonhap

The 685-meter-long tunnel was suddenly flooded on July 15 when a nearby river overflowed due to rising water levels caused by heavy rain. Rescuers rescued nine people from the tunnel yesterday.

As of today, floods and landslides caused by heavy rains in South Korea have left at least 35 people dead, more than 10 missing, and thousands displaced. Most of the casualties were reported in North Gyeongsang Province, where 17 people died and 9 were missing.

The floods damaged hundreds of homes, collapsed 32 roads and 49 river embankments. South Korean authorities closed 216 roads as a safety precaution.

Rescuers at a flooded tunnel. Photo: Korea Herald

Rescuers at a flooded tunnel. Photo: Korea Herald

The Korea Meteorological Administration said central Chungcheong, southern Jeolla and Gyeongsang provinces could see up to 300 mm of additional rain through July 18. South Korea has raised its landslide alert nationwide to the highest level, except for Jeju Island.

Prime Minister Han Duck-soo pledged that the government would quickly search for the missing and instructed officials to make every effort to ensure the safety of the people. The Defense Ministry said it had dispatched 472 personnel and 69 pieces of specialized equipment to support disaster response operations.

Ngoc Anh (According to Yonhap )



Source link

Comment (0)

No data
No data

Same tag

Same category

Son Doong Cave is among the top 'surreal' destinations like on another planet
Wind power field in Ninh Thuan: Check-in "coordinates" for summer hearts
Legend of Father Elephant Rock and Mother Elephant Rock in Dak Lak
View of Nha Trang beach city from above

Same author

Heritage

Figure

Business

No videos available

News

Political System

Local

Product