In a statement late on November 1, spokesman Zaw Min Tun said “government, administrative and security agencies are no longer present” in Chinshwehaw town in Myanmar’s Shan state, according to AFP. The town borders China’s Yunnan province.
Mr Zaw Min Tun said clashes had occurred in 10 locations across Shan State over the past six days, without providing details of casualties. He accused three armed groups of “blowing up power plants, blowing up bridges, destroying roads” without giving details.
The missile was launched from a military base in Shan State on October 28.
Fighting has been raging across Shan State in northern Myanmar since October 27. Three armed groups, the Ta’ang National Liberation Army (TNLA), the Arakan Army (AA) and the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army (MNDAA), said they had seized several military posts and key roads linking Myanmar to China.
Beijing called for a ceasefire on November 2. At a regular press conference, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said China "calls on all parties to immediately cease fire and stop fighting."
Myanmar’s military-controlled media reported in September that more than a quarter of Myanmar’s $1.8 billion border trade with China passed through Chinshwehaw from April to September, citing figures from Myanmar’s Ministry of Commerce. China is Myanmar’s largest trading partner.
Three armed groups - with the capacity to mobilize at least 15,000 members according to analysts - have regularly fought with the Myanmar military for autonomy and control of resources.
The MNDAA released a video earlier this week showing its members occupying Chinshwehaw. Three armed groups claim dozens of Myanmar military soldiers have been killed, wounded or captured since October 27. Analysts say both sides are likely to exaggerate or understate the casualty figures.
The United Nations has expressed concern that thousands of people have been displaced by the fighting, some of whom have fled across the border into China.
On October 31, Chinese Public Security Minister Wang Xiaohong met with Myanmar's military junta chief Min Aung Hlaing in the capital Naypyidaw. Myanmar's MRTV television station said the two sides discussed coordinated attacks by three armed groups aimed at "undermining peace and stability" in northeastern Myanmar.
Source link
Comment (0)