Police check vehicles in Anambra state, Nigeria
The Guardian reported on May 17 that gunmen attacked a US diplomatic convoy in Anambra state, Nigeria, kidnapping three people and killing four.
According to US and Nigerian officials, no US citizens were in the convoy. Police spokesman Ikenga Tochukwu said the gunmen "killed two Mobile Police Force agents and two consular staff".
Security forces were dispatched to the scene, but the gunmen had already kidnapped a driver and two police officers. A rescue operation is currently underway.
US National Security Council spokesman John Kirby confirmed the attack, when he spoke at a press conference in Washington DC (USA).
"An American convoy was attacked. What I can tell you is that no American citizens were involved," he said.
The US State Department also confirmed information about the attack and said the US side is coordinating with Nigerian security agencies to investigate.
"The safety of our staff is always paramount and we take strict precautions when conducting field trips," according to the US State Department.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack. Separatists operating in the region have stepped up attacks in recent years, often targeting police or government buildings.
Nigerian authorities have repeatedly blamed the attacks in the southeast on the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) movement and its armed wing. IPOB has repeatedly denied responsibility for the violence.
Source link
Comment (0)