South Korean police have arrested a man suspected of starting a series of devastating forest fires across the country's south that have killed 26 people in recent days.
Yonhap news agency reported that the 56-year-old suspect was arrested on charges of causing a forest fire around noon on March 22 while visiting the graves of relatives on a hill in Uiseong County, North Gyeongsang Province (South Korea).
A person stands near a forest fire in Andong city, North Gyeongsang province (South Korea) on March 26.
The fire then quickly spread to many neighboring areas due to strong winds and dry weather. The forest fire has so far killed at least 26 people in North Gyeongsang Province.
The fire also destroyed about 4,000 houses and other facilities, including Goun Pagoda, a UNESCO world heritage site.
Police said the arrested man denied the allegations. "We are verifying the evidence," an official at the North Gyeongsang Police Station told Reuters.
The Korea Forest Service announced that the forest fire in North Gyeongsang was brought under control on the afternoon of March 28 but flared up again on March 29. About 48,000 hectares of forest were burned in this worst forest fire in Korea, forcing tens of thousands of people to evacuate.
Meanwhile, the fire that broke out in Sancheong County and spread to Jiri Mountain National Park was nearly brought under control as of March 30, with the fire area narrowed to about 200 meters.
South Korea has deployed 50 helicopters, 1,473 personnel and 213 fire engines to fight the fire. As of the morning of March 30, the fire was 99% under control.
Police plan to launch a joint investigation next week with other agencies to find the cause of the fire, according to Yonhap.
Source: https://thanhnien.vn/han-quoc-bat-nguoi-tao-mo-nghi-gay-vu-chay-rung-lon-nhat-lich-su-18525033012192194.htm
Comment (0)