Vehicles on the Crimea bridge (Photo: Sputnik).
"On May 6, the European Union (EU) foreign policy spokesman Peter Stano made a statement about Ukraine's right to attack the Crimean bridge as part of self-defense measures. There is no other way but to call this an act of direct incitement to terrorism," Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said on May 8.
According to Ms. Zakharova, this statement by a European official, who "speaks on behalf of the entire European Union" is "shocking".
"This is his responsibility. Stano's unacceptable statements demonstrate that the EU is not only a sponsor of the Kiev government, but its statements also provoke Kiev to continue attacks on peaceful cities and Russian civilian infrastructure, including hospitals, schools and shops," Zakharova added.
The Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman pointed out that the EU, along with supplying heavy and long-range weapons, "openly disregards its international obligations."
"Just a few days ago, EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell once again publicly admitted that a quick, peaceful solution to the Ukrainian conflict has existed from the very beginning, but he personally and the European Union he represents do not want to end hostilities," Zakharova added.
“This is exactly what we have been saying all along, citing both Borrell and Western officials. We have noted and paid attention to the EU’s long-term investment in supplying weapons to Ukraine, which they intend to use to prolong the armed conflict for at least, according to them, several years,” the Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman said.
Ms Zakharova's statement came after Ukrainian and Western officials implicitly warned of a scenario of an attack on the Crimea bridge.
Ukraine's special envoy to the United Nations, Sergey Kislitsa, has issued a veiled threat to the Crimean Bridge, implying that it will cease to exist by the end of the year.
Previously, senior Ukrainian officials have repeatedly stated that destroying the bridge across the Kerch Strait is Kiev's top priority, affirming that this is a legitimate military target.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky told German media last month that destroying the Crimean bridge was something “we very much want”.
The Crimean Bridge was built between 2016 and 2018 and is the only road and rail link connecting the Crimean peninsula to mainland Russia. Russia annexed Crimea in 2014 following a referendum.
Since the Ukraine conflict erupted in 2022, many officials and commanders in Ukraine have threatened to destroy the 19km-long bridge connecting the Crimean peninsula and the Krasnodar region, which they say is vital to the Russian military.
Russia has accused Ukrainian special forces of carrying out two major bombings of Crimean bridges since Moscow launched its military operation in 2022.
Source: https://dantri.com.vn/the-gioi/cau-crimea-bi-de-doa-tan-cong-nga-canh-bao-danh-thep-20240508172808182.htm
Comment (0)