Cologne police chief Frank Wissbaum said at a news conference that the attackers were believed to have planned to use a car to attack the 800-year-old Gothic building on the Rhine River.
German police guard Cologne Cathedral on December 23, 2023. Photo: Reuters
He said the suspects’ method of attack was still unclear, but an underground car park beneath the cathedral had been searched overnight by explosive-sniffing dogs. “Three people are now in custody, we are glad they can no longer communicate with each other,” he said.
Wissbaum said investigators found evidence late Saturday linking the three to a 30-year-old man with alleged ties to the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group who has been in custody since December 24.
German authorities are continuing to investigate what he called a “network of individuals” from Central Asia with links to several German states and European countries. No details have been given about the identities or backgrounds of those currently detained.
Police said the suspects were detained in the cities of Duisburg, Herne and Noervenich, and communication devices were seized during searches of their apartments.
Security has been stepped up in and around the cathedral ahead of the 2024 New Year's Eve celebrations. Police have warned residents not to be alarmed if they see officers carrying machine guns and body armor.
Thousands of extra police are also patrolling the capital Berlin, which saw violent clashes on New Year's Eve last year. Many Muslims in Germany are unhappy with Germany's support for Israel in its fight against Hamas.
Huy Hoang (according to Reuters)
Source
Comment (0)