(Dan Tri) - The Chinese government announced that it "will take resolute countermeasures" if the US harms the country's interests with retaliatory tariffs in the coming time.
A crowded cargo port in China (Photo: AFP).
Accordingly, on March 28, a social media account affiliated with China's state-run CCTV said that the country's government has declared a resolute response to the new US tariff policy.
"If the US wants to discuss cooperation with China, mutual respect is the prerequisite," Yuyuan Tantian wrote in a Weibo post.
The comments came after China's Vice Premier in charge of economic affairs He Lifeng and US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer had "candid talks" on trade issues in a video call on March 26.
During the call, Mr. Lifeng expressed China's "deep concerns" about existing and proposed US tariffs, and urged Washington to address the concerns of both sides, according to China's official Xinhua news agency.
After the meeting, US President Donald Trump told reporters that he would be willing to reduce tariffs on China to reach a deal with TikTok's Chinese parent company, ByteDance, to sell the app, which is used by 170 million Americans.
President Trump is set to announce on April 2 a “reciprocal” tariff plan designed to address the trade imbalance between the two sides, including the possibility of additional tariffs on Chinese goods.
Since taking office in January, Mr. Trump has imposed a 20% tariff on all Chinese imports, citing Beijing’s failure to stem the flow of chemicals used to make fentanyl.
The US also added dozens of Chinese entities to its export restrictions list earlier this week, further ratcheting up tensions with Beijing.
Beijing has responded to Washington's tariffs by targeting a number of US imports including coal, liquefied natural gas and agricultural products with tariffs of up to 15%.
The global auto industry and financial markets have been rocked by President Trump’s decision to impose a 25% tariff on imported cars and auto parts, which will take effect on April 2. The move has been met with strong opposition from major trading partners, with retaliatory measures being considered.
China's Ministry of Commerce said on March 28 that it will take further steps in its lawsuit against the United States at the World Trade Organization (WTO) regarding additional US tariffs on Chinese goods.
Source: https://dantri.com.vn/the-gioi/trung-quoc-tuyen-bo-se-dap-tra-chinh-sach-thue-quan-moi-cua-my-20250328221255617.htm
Comment (0)