In a post on the social network Truth Social, former US President Trump said he was willing to debate Ms. Harris on Fox News on September 4, while refusing to participate in the previously scheduled debate on ABC.
Mr Trump floated the idea ahead of a rally in Atlanta, where he will gather supporters in the same arena where Ms Harris spoke to a raucous crowd of about 10,000 on Tuesday.
A Donald Trump campaign event in Atlanta, Georgia on August 3, 2024. Photo: Reuters
The former US President said he was “in agreement” with the plan to debate on Fox News. And he said the debate would take place in Pennsylvania – a key state in the US presidential election system – in front of a live audience.
Harris’ campaign called it a “scam” and said: “Donald Trump is running in fear and trying to back out of the debate he agreed to and running straight to Fox News to save him,” Harris’ campaign communications director Michael Tyler said in a statement. “He needs to… show up for the debate he committed to on September 10.”
Mr. Trump is trying to regain the initiative in the US presidential campaign, which he has gradually lost since Ms. Harris replaced US President Joe Biden as the Democratic Party's candidate.
Ms. Harris is changing the course of this year's White House race that had been tilted in Mr. Trump's favor. The US Vice President has raised a lot of donations, assembling the team behind former President Barack Obama's two historic election victories.
On Friday, Ms Harris clinched the Democratic nomination with near-unanimous party support. She is set to announce her vice presidential running mate, with Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro as the frontrunner.
Huy Hoang (according to Reuters, CNA)
Source: https://www.congluan.vn/bau-cu-my-2024-ba-harris-va-ong-trump-tranh-cai-ve-ngay-tranh-luan-post306216.html
Comment (0)